Appomattox Court House in Appomattox County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Appomattox Court House
Here, amidst the once-quiet streets and lanes of Appomattox Court House, Lee, Grant, and their tired armies enacted one of the great dramas in American history.
“General, this is deeply humiliating; but I console myself with the thought that the whole country will rejoice at this day’s business.”
- A Confederate during the surrender ceremony
April 12, 1865
Appomattox was first called Clover Hill – just a stage coach stop along the Stage Road linking Richmond and Lynchburg. In 1845, the village became the Appomattox County seat – home to the courthouse and about 100 people. Then, in 1865, it became one of the most famous places in the world.
Today the village of Appomattox Court House has been partially restored. Its lanes and lots look much look much as they did in April 1865. Some of the village’s historic buildings remain, while others have been rebuilt. Together they comprise one of America’s most vivid historic landscapes.
Erected by Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, National Park Service, Dept. of the Interior.
Location. 37° 22.579′ N, 78° 47.788′ W. Marker is in Appomattox Court House, Virginia, in Appomattox County. Marker is Click for map. Marker is at the pedestrian entrance to the village of Appomattox Court House. Marker is in this post office area: Appomattox VA 24522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. April 1865 (here, next to this marker); McLean House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); County Jail (about 600 feet away); Clover Hill Tavern (about 600 feet away); Tibbs Lane (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gordon’s Attack April 9, 1865 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Surrender Ceremony (approx. 0.2 miles away); Final Combat (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Appomattox Court House.
More about this marker. The center of the marker features a map of the present day village of Appomattox Court House. Below this are a photograph of the McLean family sitting in front of the McLean House, where the surrender took place, and a painting of General Lee signing the surrender documents. These have a caption of "The central event of the Appomattox Campaign was the meeting between Lee and Grant on April 9 (right). But in fact, the final chapter of the war spanned several days and involved the entire village and surrounding fields. Start your visit at the reconstructed courthouse, about 100 yards in front of you
The bottom of the marker contains a picture of the village of Appomattox Court House as it appeared in 1865. It has the caption "The village (below) as it appeared just after the surrender. The McLean House is at right, the courthouse in the center. In 1892 the courthouse burned and the old town died. ‘New’ Appomattox grew up along the railroad a few miles south of here."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Appomattox Virtual Tour by Markers
Also see . . .
1. Appomattox Court House National Historic Park. National Park Service website. (Submitted on January 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Appomattox Court House. CWSAC Battle Summaries website. (Submitted on January 21, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,532 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.