Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sutherland in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Engagement at Sutherland Station

 
 
Engagement at Sutherland Station Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 24, 2007
1. Engagement at Sutherland Station Marker
Inscription. On the morning of 2 Apr. 1865, Union forces arrived here by way of Clairborne Road and found Maj. Gen. Henry Heth’s Confederate division entrenched on Cox Road. During the day, Maj. Gen. Nelson A. Miles’s division made three distinct assaults against the half-mile-long Confederate line, which stretched from Ocran Church to Sutherland’s Tavern. The third charge forced Heth’s division out of its works and west on the Namozine Road, thereby severing Gen. Robert E. Lee’s final supply line, the South Side Railroad. Lee ordered the Army of Northern Virginia to evacuate both Petersburg and Richmond that night.
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K 305.)
 
Location. 37° 11.769′ N, 77° 33.789′ W. Marker is in Sutherland, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is on Cox Road (U.S. 460). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sutherland VA 23885, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Appomattox Campaign (Sutherland Station) (within shouting distance of this marker); Fork Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); Sutherland Station (about 600 feet away, measured
Sutherland’s Tavern Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, April 24, 2007
2. Sutherland’s Tavern
This tavern marked the end of the Confederate line of Maj. Gen. Henry Heth, which was broken by Union troops on April 2, 1865. It was used as a hospital after the battle.
in a direct line); a different marker also named Sutherland Station (about 600 feet away); The Battle of Sutherland (about 600 feet away); Rocky Branch School (approx. ¾ mile away); Colonel John Banister (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Battle of White Oak Road (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Sutherland.
 
Also see . . .  The Battle of Sutherland’s Station. The American Civil War website. (Submitted on January 22, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Notable EventsNotable PlacesWar, US Civil
 
Cox Road (facing west) Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2009
3. Cox Road (facing west)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 874 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement