Lexington, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Stonewall Jackson House
After her husband’s death in 1863, Mrs. Jackson kept the house as a rental property until 1906. She sold it to the United Daughters of the Confederacy for use as a community hospital. The house served as Stonewall Jackson Memorial Hospital for nearly fifty years and underwent many changes before becoming a museum.
The Jackson house was restored in 1979 to look as it did when the Jacksons lived here, and underwent additional renovations in 2004. The house is owned and operated for educational purposes by the Stonewall Jackson Foundation and is open daily for tours.
“It was genuine happiness to him to have a home of his own: it as the first one he had ever possessed, and it was truly his castle.”
Mary Anna Jackson, Memoirs of “Stonewall” Jackson by his Widow, p. 106
Marker series. This marker is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy marker series.
Location. 37° 47.107′ N, 79° 26.476′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Virginia. Marker is on East Washington Street, on the right Click for map. This is the second of three markers at the Stonewall Jackson House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8 East Washington Street, Lexington VA 24450, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson 1824-1863 (here, next to this marker); Jackson's Garden (here, next to this marker); Rockaway (here, next to this marker); The Jacob Ruff House, ca. 1829 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alexander-Withrow House, ca. 1793 (within shouting distance of this marker); Campbell House, ca. 1845 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Sloan House, ca. 1844-45 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lexington (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Lexington.
More about this marker. The background image on the marker is the Jackson Dwelling from the Stonewall Jackson Foundation, Lexington, Virginia. The marker also has a watermark background image replicating the Cedar Floral wallpaper, reproduced by Scalamandre for use in the Stonewall Jackson House parlor.
On the lower left is an early photo Thomas J. Jackson by H.B. Hull. (NPG 77.57, National Portrait Gallery, Smithsonian Institution).
On the right is a photo of house as Stonewall Jackson Memorial Hospital, from the Stonewall Jackson Foundation, Lexington, Virginia. In the center is another photo of the house when used as a hospital showing a patient on the porch.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • African Americans • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,878 times since then and 104 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. 5. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6, 7. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.