Inscription. Obtained in 1684 from Augustine Herman by the religious sect called Labadists. Here they led an austere form of communistic life but disintegrated about 1698.
By William Pfingsten, July 6, 2007
|1. “Labadie Tract” Marker|
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Location. 39° 29.215′ N, 75° 50.635′ W. Marker is near Chesapeake City, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on Cayots Corner Road (Maryland Route 310) 0.2 miles east of Augustine Herman Highway (Maryland Route 213), on the left. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chesapeake City MD 21915, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “Bohemia Mannor” (approx. 1.5 miles away); St. Augustine’s Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); St. Augustine School (approx. 2.4 miles away); Bohemia (approx. 3 miles away); Jennie Whiteoak House (approx. 3.1 miles away); McReynolds-Woods House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Stubbs-Caldwell House (approx. 3.1 miles away); World War II Monument (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chesapeake City.
Also see . . . Labadists. Entry from the Catholic Encyclopedia. (Submitted on July 11, 2007.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 6, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,320 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on July 6, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |