South Bound Brook in Somerset County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Locks on the D&R Canal
Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park
How a Lift Lock Operates:
1. A boat heading downstream enters the lock.
2. The lock gates are closed.
3. Wickets in the downstream gates are opened, water flows out, and the boat is lowered.
4. When water levels are equal, the downstream gates are opened, and the boat continues.
For a boat heading upstream, the procedure is reversed. Bypass channels were constructed around lift locks to allow canal water to continue downstream when locks were in use.
Outer Locks are of the same design, but do not function as true lift locks. These locks permit the passage of boats between a canal and a river or other body of water and accommodate for changes in water level or tide. The outlet locks on the D&R Canal are at Bordentown (Lock #1), New Brunswick (#14) and Lambertville.
Water enters the Feeder Canal at Bulls Island at an elevation of about 67 feet above sea level. As it passes through the Lambertville lock it drops to about 55.7 feet, and remains at this level all the way to the Main Canal at Trenton. From this “summit” the Main Canal descended through seven locks to near sea level at Bordentown and in the other direction through seven more locks to near sea level at New Brunswick. The T-shaped section of canal defined by Lambertville Lock, Lock 7 in Trenton, and Lock 8 in Kingston served as a kind of reservoir for the Main Canal.
Locks used two kinds of gates: vertically hinged pairs of gates called miter gates, and single gates, hinged at the bottom, referred to as drop gates.Constructed to form a V-shape when closed, miter gates open upstream, and are kept closed by the pressure of the water. Miter gates are operated by pushing against long, heavy balance beams projecting from their hinged edges that counterbalance the weight of the gate. Drop
Sidebar: Delaware & Raritan Canal Lock History
1831-34: Canal was constructed with 15 lift locks (one on the Feeder and 15 on the Main Canal) and 2 guard locks. Main Canal locks were 24 feet wide and 110 feet long, much larger than locks on other canals. Original lock gates were miter gates with balance beams.
1847-48: Original masonry lock at Bordentown (#1) sank into its soft substrate and a replacement lock of stone-filled wooden crib construction was built a few feet to the west of the first one.
1848: Outlet lock was constructed at Lambertville for a cable ferry across the Delaware River. It was in operation until 1912-13.
1849: Head (upstream) gates of all locks were converted to drop gates. Today the gates are gone, replaced c.1944 by valve-operated concrete control gate structures at the head of each lock.
1853: Main Canal locks lengthened to 220 feet. Lock #5 in Trenton was eliminated and Lock #4 deepened to compensate.
1866: Second lock added in New Brunswick, making Lock #14 a double outlet lock.
1932: Canal ceased operation
1936: Trenton section of canal (Locks #3-7) filled in.
1980: More than a mile of canal at the New Brunswick end, including Deep Lock (#13), was destroyed for NJ Highway 18.
1998: Last mile of the canal and Lock #14 restored and incorporated into Boyd Park, a City of New Brunswick facility.
Erected by NJ Dept. of Environmental Protection.
Location. 40° 33.539′ N, 74° 31.847′ W. Marker is in South Bound Brook, New Jersey, in Somerset County. Marker is on Canal Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park, on the north side of the canal. Marker is in this post office area: South Bound Brook NJ 08880, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Bound Brook (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Queen’s Bridge (about 800 feet away); Van Horn Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Frelinghuysen Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Bound Brook (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Stone Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bound Brook Library World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in South Bound Brook.
More about this marker.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers related to the Delaware and Raritan Canal.
Also see . . . Delaware & Raritan Canal History. Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park website. (Submitted on January 27, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,778 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.