Near Hinesville in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Taylors Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery
The Taylors Creek Methodist Church edifice built here in 1841, was in use for 101 years, until in 1942 the site was taken over by the United States Government to become a part of the Fort Stewart area.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 31° 56.112′ N, 81° 38.859′ W. Marker is near Hinesville, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on Fort Stewart Road FS144 0.2 miles west of Georgia Route 119, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The marker is located in a training area on Fort Stewart Military Installation. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stewart GA 31315, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. 3rd Battalion, 15th Infantry (approx. 3.3 miles away); Flemington Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Bradwell Institute (approx. 6.4 miles away); Hinesville Methodist Church (approx. 6.7 miles away); Charlton Hines House (approx. 6.7 miles away); Fort Morris Cannon (approx. 6.8 miles away); Liberty County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Liberty County Confederate Monument (approx. 6.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hinesville.
Regarding Taylors Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery. Taylors Creek was named for the Taylor brothers, James and William, who obtained land grants in 1760 on the banks of the creeks in this area. The community was one of the earliest settlements in Liberty County. Robert Hendry, whose family is mentioned on the marker, was a hero in the Revolutionary War.
The community had a school, Liberty Institute, and a tile-covered tabernacle, with small wooden cottages for church members. The community was in decline by the end of the 19th century, but the school and church continued until the government purchased the area in 1941 for Fort Stewart. Only the cemetery remains today.
Also see . . . General Sherman's Men Did Not Burn the Church. Legend has it that the church was spared destruction during General Sherman's March to the Sea because a masonic symbol was displayed on the church exterior. (Submitted on February 2, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,608 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.