Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamston in Anderson County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

West Allen Williams

 
 
West Allen Williams Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, January 25, 2009
1. West Allen Williams Marker
Inscription.
In Memory of
West Allen Williams
1804 - 1857
Founded Williamston
Donor of Spring
&
Park
-----
He said
This Water Shall by Forever
Free to All People

 
Location. 34° 37.033′ N, 82° 28.75′ W. Marker is in Williamston, South Carolina, in Anderson County. Marker is on Spring Street. Click for map. Marker is located in the south corner of the park. Marker is in this post office area: Williamston SC 29697, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Williamston (within shouting distance of this marker); West Allen Williams Memorial Gravesite (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gist Rifles Monument (about 400 feet away); Williamston 9-11 Monument (about 400 feet away); Williamston Female College (about 500 feet away); Confederate Skirmish (about 600 feet away); Williamston Municipal Center (about 700 feet away); Big Creek Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pelzer Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); "Lord, We Are Grateful" (approx. 4.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Williamston.
 
Also see . . .
1. Park to be founder's final place of rest. The legend
West Allen Williams Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, January 25, 2009
2. West Allen Williams Marker
The marker is encircled by a stone bench.
states that West Allen Williams was traveling across his property and stopped to rest. When he awoke he found a spring, around which a town eventually grew. (Submitted on February 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

2. Williamston, South Carolina. Williamston is a town in Anderson County, South Carolina, United States, that is adjacent to the small towns of Pelzer and West Pelzer. (Submitted on February 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

3. Town of Williamston, South Carolina. The Williamston Municipal Center was originally constructed by WPA labor in 1939 as Williamston High School. (Submitted on February 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 

4. Thomas C. Gower Bridge. West Allen William's was Thomas C. Gower's father-in-law. The Gower Bridge spans the Reedy River in downtown Greenville, South Carolina. (Submitted on February 2, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Notable PersonsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 830 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement