Walthourville in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Walthourville Baptist Church
The original church did not have a building of its own, so it shared facilities with the Sunbury Baptist Church. In 1864 the church building was burnt by Gen. Sherman’s army as a signal for gunboats anchored in the channel. Before the building was burnt, the original Bible of the North Newport Church was saved by members of the church.
The present sanctuary was built in 1923. This building has two unique features: solid brick walls and a theater style floor made of heart pine. In 2000 the original tray ceiling and pine floor were restored.
Erected 2003 by Liberty County Historical Society.
Location. 31° 46.061′ N, 81° 38.072′ W. Marker is in Walthourville, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on Vandiver Road 0.1 miles south of Talmadge Road (Georgia Route 119), on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 96 Vandiver Road, Walthourville GA 31333, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies City of Walthourville History (approx. 0.2 miles away); Walthourville Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Pleasant Grove African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and Camp Meeting (approx. 2.5 miles away); Skirmish at Hinesville (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Liberty County Jail (approx. 5.8 miles away); Bradwell Park (approx. 6 miles away); Charlton Hines House (approx. 6 miles away); Bradwell Institute (approx. 6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Walthourville.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 877 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.