Greensboro in Greene County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Greene County “Gaol”
This prison was built about 1807, after the General Presentments of the Greene County Superior Court recommended that a substantial jail be built.
The cells are veritable dungeons without light or ventilation, except for the grated door downstairs and the small, grated windows above. The dungeons in Fort Marion are no more horrible. It was used as a jail until about 1895.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 066-5.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 34.616′ N, 83° 10.892′ W. Marker is in Greensboro, Georgia, in Greene County. Marker is on East Greene Street 0 miles east of North Main Street, on the right when Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Greensboro GA 30642, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sheriff L. L. Wyatt (within shouting distance of this marker); William C. Dawson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Commissioner of Agriculture (about 300 feet away); Greene County (about 300 feet away); The Burning of Greensborough (about 700 feet away); Bishop George Foster Pierce (approx. 0.2 miles away); Unknown Confederate Dead (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Springfield Baptist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Greensboro.
Additional keywords. Jails, Prisons
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 981 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.