Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Studley in Hanover County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Salem Church/Haw’s Shop

The Union Army Consolidates

 

—Lee vs. Grant – The 1864 Campaign —

 
Salem Church/Haw’s Shop Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, January 31, 2009
1. Salem Church/Haw’s Shop Marker
Inscription. After crossing the Pamunkey River, Grant ordered his army to consolidate near this intersection.

While the cavalry fought a ferocious battle west of here at Enon Church on May 28, 1864, Grant’s infantry reconnoitered north toward Hanover Court House and south toward Totopotomoy Creek.

Salem Church dates to 1829. The nearby blacksmith shop owned by the Haw family and the church dominated the important crossroads here. During the cavalry battle at Enon Church Union Gen. George Custer established his headquarters here. The building also saw service as a temporary hospital throughout the battle and in the subsequent weeks of the Cold Harbor campaign.
 
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
 
Location. 37° 40.573′ N, 77° 17.518′ W. Marker is in Studley, Virginia, in Hanover County. Marker is on Studley Road (County Route 606) 0.1 miles east of Williamsville Road (County Route 615), on the left when traveling east. Click for map. The marker is located on the west side of the Salem Presbyterian Church parking lot. Marker is in this post office area: Mechanicsville VA 23116, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Studley (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct
Salem Presbyterian Church. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 2, 2009
2. Salem Presbyterian Church.
In this west facing view, the CWT marker is on the far side of the church.
line); Early Airmail Service (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Studley (approx. half a mile away); Enon Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Enon Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Newmarket (approx. 1.3 miles away); Stuart's Ride (approx. 2.1 miles away); William Latané (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Studley.
 
Regarding Salem Church/Haw’s Shop. On the lower left is a photo of Gen. George Custer. On the right is a sketch of Union troops entrenching near Haw’s Shop. The sketch carries the caption, While the cavalry fought west of here at Enon Church on May 28, Union infantry secured Grant’s position by entrenching north of Haw’s Shop.
 
Also see . . .  Civil War Traveler. Lee vs. Grant: The 1864 Overland Campaign (Submitted on February 12, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,449 times since then and 155 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement