Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ludowici in Long County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Long County Timeline Mural

Completed May 1997

 
 
Long County Timeline Mural Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, January 4, 2009
1. Long County Timeline Mural Marker
Inscription. Altahama River borders Long County and was a boundry between the Indians and early settlers. During the Revolutionary War, Fort Telfair at Beard's Bluff provided safety for the colonists. Frontiersmen made a living cutting trees. They fastened logs together, floated them down the Altahama to Darien, sold them and walked 40 miles home. By mid 1840's a railroad arrived in Johnson's Station, later renamed Ludowici. From 1904-1914 William Ludowici used local clay to manufacture roofing tiles at a plant on Factory Hill. In appreciation of money contributed for a new school, the town was renamed. After 1910 Ludowici's downtown grew into a row of storefronts on this street. Fire destroyed the block in the 1970's. The 1990's brought population growth and the completion of a new school. There is promise of a bright future for citizens of "a county on the go."

Acknowledgements:
The Long County Mural project sponsored by the Long County Chamber of Commerce was funded by donations and through a grant from the Georgia Council for the Arts, Grassroots Arts Program. Chamber president Richard Flournoy suggested the mural for the Wiregrass Trail tourism project. The timeline theme was designed by Melanie Stokes. Activities were coordinated by Nancy Dare.

Thanks to the building owner Richard Coronado
Long County Timeline Mural Marker at right image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, January 4, 2009
2. Long County Timeline Mural Marker at right
who let us use his wall and the many who contributed some financially, others as artist, painters and as friends of the mural project. Thank you Long County.

Volunteers and Contributors:
( List of 77 names )
Long County Chamber of Commerce
Board of Directors
1996-1997
( List of 10 members)
 
Erected 1997 by Long County Chamber of Commerce.
 
Location. 31° 42.598′ N, 81° 44.672′ W. Marker is in Ludowici, Georgia, in Long County. Marker is on McQueen Street near Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ludowici GA 31316, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Long County (approx. mile away); Historic Roads And Indian Trails (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Barrington Road (approx. 4.1 miles away but has been reported missing); Franklinia Altamaha (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Defense of the Altamaha Bridge (approx. 4.8 miles away); Jones Creek Baptist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away); Doctortown (approx. 6.6 miles away); Walthourville Baptist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ludowici.
 
Also see . . .
1. Long County,the county seat is Ludowici, Georgia.
Long County Timeline Mural Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
3. Long County Timeline Mural Marker
(Submitted on February 6, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Ludowici, a part of the Hinesville-Fort Stewart metropolitan statistical area. (Submitted on February 6, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,226 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement