Louisville in Jefferson County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This square became the hub of the transportation routes that centered on Louisville when the State Capital was located here (1794-1807). Although portions of the structure have been replaced, the Market House has never lost its distinctive style.
Inside the Market House hangs a bell that was cast in France for a New Orleans Convent in 1772. The ship carrying the bell was sacked by pirates and the bell was sold in Savannah. It was given to the State Capitol but was used in the market House as a community warning signal.
Erected 1979 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources and the City of Louisville. (Marker Number 081-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 0′ N, 82° 24.566′ W. Marker was in Louisville, Georgia, in Jefferson County. Marker was at the intersection Click for map. The marker stood in the median at the Market House; both the marker and post have been removed. Marker was in this post office area: Louisville GA 30434, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Louisville, Georgia (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old State Capitol (about 700 feet away); "Yazoo Fraud" (about 700 feet away); Site of Capitol Building (about 700 feet away); To Commemorate the Site of the First Permanent Capitol of Georgia (about 700 feet away); Rocky Comfort Creek (approx. ¾ mile away); The Ogeechee River (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old Town Plantation (approx. 8.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Louisville.
Regarding Market House. This marker replaced an earlier Georgia Historical Commission marker titled "Slave Market" which carried the same number.
Categories. • African Americans • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,100 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Christopher Busta-Peck was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.