Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Adams-Van Lew House

 
 
Adams-Van Lew House Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, February 7, 2009
1. Adams-Van Lew House Marker
Inscription. Richmond mayor Dr. John Adams built a mansion here in 1802. It became the residence of Elizabeth Van Lew (1818-1900) whose father obtained it in 1836. During the Civil War, Elizabeth Van Lew led a Union espionage operation. African Americans, such as Van Lew's associate Mary Jane Richards (whose story closely parallels that of legendary spy Mary Elizabeth Bowser), served in Richmond's Unionist underground. Van Lew served as postmaster of Richmond from 1869 to 1877. Maggie Lena Walker, nationally known African American businesswoman, banker, and leader of the Independent Order of St. Luke, was born here by 1867. The house was razed in 1911 and in 1912 the Bellevue School was erected in its place.
 
Erected 2005 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA 69.)
 
Location. 37° 31.884′ N, 77° 25.244′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is on East Grace Street near North 24th Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23223, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Wythe (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Historic St. Johnís Church (about 300 feet
Site of Adams-Van Lew House Photo, Click for full size
By Bernard Fisher, February 7, 2009
2. Site of Adams-Van Lew House
away, measured in a direct line); St. Johnís Church (about 400 feet away); 2307 E. Broad Street (about 400 feet away); Saint Johnís Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); British Invasion of Richmond, January 1781 (about 500 feet away); Confederate (Second) Alabama Hospital (about 500 feet away); Historic Shockoe Valley (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .
1. Virginia Historical Society - Lost Virginia. Vanished Architecture of the Old Dominion: Adams-Van Lew House (Submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 

2. Women in History. Elizabeth Van Lew (Submitted on February 7, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Van Lew House, Richmond, Va. Photo, Click for full size
By Tuck & Sons', 1906
3. Van Lew House, Richmond, Va.
The Van Lew House is probably one of the best examples of Colonial architecture. The date of erection is not known, but additions were made in 1792. The original grant was made to Sir William Byrd; in 1834 it came into the possession of Mr. John Van Lew, and during the Civil War was occupied by his daughter, Lizzie, the famous Union spy, who here secreted hundreds of Union soldiers. The house is now owned and occupied by the Virginia Club. VCU Libraries Digital Collections - Rarely Seen Richmond
Elizabeth Van Lew mansion, Richmond, Va. Photo, Click for full size
By Detroit Publishing Co., circa 1910
4. Elizabeth Van Lew mansion, Richmond, Va.
Library of Congress [LC-D4-33908]
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,943 times since then and 143 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement