Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Isle of Hope in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Isle of Hope Methodist Church

 
 
Isle of Hope Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, January 2009
1. Isle of Hope Methodist Church Marker
Inscription. The Isle of Hope Methodist Church was organized in 1851. The first Trustees were George W. Wylly, Simeon F. Murphy, John B. Hogg, William Waite, Theodore Goodwin, Thomas J. Barnsley and the Rev. William S. Baker.

The church building that stands here was erected in 1859 on land given by Dr. Stephen Dupon. Its architecture is similar to that of the early churches at Midway and Ebenezer. The gallery at the rear of the church was built primarily for accommodations of slaves.

Symbolic of the hospitality extended by the Church to all faiths is the large key that hangs outside the entrance.

During the War Between the States a Confederate battery stood on the church lot, mounting two 8-inch columbiads and two 32-pounder cannon. The church was used as a hospital for Confederates stationed in the area, the pews (still in existence) serving as beds. Thirty-three Effingham County soldiers sleep in the adjoining churchyard.
 
Erected 1962 by Georgia Historical Society. (Marker Number 025-83.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 58.902′ N, 81° 3.554′ W. Marker is in Isle of Hope, Georgia, in
Isle of Hope Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, January 18, 2009
2. Isle of Hope Methodist Church and Marker
Chatham County. Marker is on Parkersburg Road south of Holcomb Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 412 Parkersburg Rd, Savannah GA 31406, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isle of Hope (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Isle of Hope (approx. 0.8 miles away); Sandfly (approx. 1.1 miles away); Noble Jonesí “Wormslow” (approx. 1.2 miles away); Mercer Auto Camp (approx. 1.8 miles away); Modena (approx. 2.2 miles away); Bethesda (approx. 2.5 miles away); Brick Pillar (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Isle of Hope.
 
Also see . . .  Isle of Hope United Methodist Church History. (Submitted on February 8, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
Isle of Hope Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2009
3. Isle of Hope Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,225 times since then and 112 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement