Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stockton in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Temple Israel Cemetery

 
 
Temple Israel Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
1. Temple Israel Cemetery Marker
Inscription. This hallowed ground was donated by Captain Charles M. Weber in 1851 for use as a cemetery by the Jewish community of Stockton. It is the oldest Jewish cemetery in continuous use in California and west of the Rocky Mountains.
 
Erected 1961 by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Temple Israel and the Union of American Hebrew Congregation, December 10, 1961. (Marker Number 765.)
 
Location. 37° 57.892′ N, 121° 16.732′ W. Marker is in Stockton, California, in San Joaquin County. Marker is on East Acacia Street, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located at the entrance to the cemetery on East Acacia Street between North Pilgrim Street and North Union Street. Marker is in this post office area: Stockton CA 95202, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stockton Developmental Center (approx. 0.4 miles away); Magnolia Historic District (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Brown (approx. 0.6 miles away); Medico-Dental Building (approx. ĺ mile away); Stockton Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Saint Johnís Episcopal Church and Guild Hall
Temple Israel Cemetery Entrance and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
2. Temple Israel Cemetery Entrance and Marker
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Remember Pearl Harbor (approx. 0.9 miles away); Stockton City Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stockton.
 
Regarding Temple Israel Cemetery. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.765 on August 10, 1961.
 
Also see . . .  Oldest Jewish Cemetery. On October 4, 1851, Solomon Friedlander, a young merchant and a native of Prussia, passed away. The members of "Rhyim Ahoovim" met together to acquire a cemetery so that their departed brother could be interred in hallowed ground. A committee was appointed to call on Captain Charles M. Weber, the founder of Stockton. He generously gave the society an entire block to use for a Jewish cemetery. Here, Friedlander was interred, his burial marking the dedication of the place to be used by the Jewish people of Stockton for a sacred burial ground, from that time to the present. (Submitted on February 8, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesLandmarksNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Temple Israel Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
3. Temple Israel Cemetery
Temple Israel Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
4. Temple Israel Cemetery
Sign at Entrance toTemple Israel Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
5. Sign at Entrance toTemple Israel Cemetery
Cemetery Founded 1851
Charles M. Weber image. Click for full size.
Bancroft Library
6. Charles M. Weber
Founder of Stockton and benefactor of this property
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,510 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement