Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodbridge in San Joaquin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

San Joaquin Valley College

 
 
San Joaquin Valley College Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
1. San Joaquin Valley College Marker
Inscription. Built through subscription by the residents of Woodbridge and dedicated as Woodbridge Seminary in 1879 by the United Brethren Church, this was the site of San Joaquin Valley College from 1882 to 1897. It was then used as Woods Grammar School until 1922, when the building was dismantled. Dedicated to the memory of the teachers and students of the college.
 
Erected 1954 by The California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Northern San Joaquin County Historical Society, May 15, 1968. (Marker Number 520.)
 
Location. 38° 9.007′ N, 121° 18.273′ W. Marker is in Woodbridge, California, in San Joaquin County. Click for map. Marker is located on the grounds of Woodbridge Grammar School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18500 North Lilac Street, Woodbridge CA 95258, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem School Bell (approx. 0.7 miles away); Woman's Club of Lodi (approx. 1.8 miles away); Laura de Force Gordon (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hotel Lodi (approx. 2 miles away); The First A&W Root Beer
San Joaquin Valley College Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
2. San Joaquin Valley College Marker
(approx. 2 miles away); City Hall, Fire House and Jail (approx. 2.1 miles away); Hale Park (approx. 2.2 miles away); Harmony Grove Church (approx. 7 miles away).
 
Regarding San Joaquin Valley College. This site was designated at California Registered Historical Landmark No.520 on July 13, 1954.
 
Additional comments.
1. Woodbridge Seminary and San Joaquin Valley College
The Church of the United Bretheren in Christ established its California headquarters at Woodbridge, near Lodi (1878), and shortly thereafter opened a preparatory school, Woodbridge Seminary (1879). This institution subsequently became a four year college (1883) graduating its first class in 1885. As such it was the first institution of higher learning in the San Joaquin Valley. Before San Joaquin Valley College closed its doors (1897) due to competition from better financed institutions in the Bay Area, it had graduated some fifty students, the most notable of which was probably Congressman, later U.S. Tax Collector for the Port of New York, Marion DeVries. The school curriculum included the traditional classical courses of the day, as well as business, music and art.
Source:
San Joaquin Valley College Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
3. San Joaquin Valley College Marker
Register of the San Joaquin Valley College Collection, 1878-1912.
http://content.cdlib.org/view?docId=tf1000018z&doc.view=entire_text&brand=oac
    — Submitted February 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationLandmarksNotable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
State Historical Landmark Sign Photo, Click for full size
By Syd Whittle, February 8, 2009
4. State Historical Landmark Sign
Located on street across from entrance to Woodbridge School
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,079 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement