Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Martinez in Contra Costa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

815 Marina Vista

Circa 1870

 
 
815 Marina Vista Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 8, 2009
1. 815 Marina Vista Marker
Inscription.
Built by William Jones, Hotelkeeper
1884
Bought by W.J. Hough and became "Hough's Saloon"
1891
Bought by Watkins Prosser
1915
Moved to present site

Residence of Dr. H.D. Buckman family for many years

Historic Marker XVI
Martinez Historical Society
October 6, 2001

 
Erected 2001 by Martinez Historical Society. (Marker Number 16.)
 
Location. 38° 1.154′ N, 122° 8.171′ W. Marker is in Martinez, California, in Contra Costa County. Marker is on Marina Vista near Ferry Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 815 Marina Vista, Martinez, Martinez CA 94553, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Southern Pacific R.R. Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Martinez Troops-In-Transit Canteen (within shouting distance of this marker); Pony Express Ferry "Carquinez" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Borland Home (about 400 feet away); Martinez-Benicia Ferry (about 400 feet away); Contra Costa County Courthouse
Prosser House - 815 Marina Vista image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 8, 2009
2. Prosser House - 815 Marina Vista
According to the City of Martinez' Historic Inventory, the entrance to the saloon was on the northwest side of the building (around the picture-left corner). The building's original location prior to 1915 was a few hundred feet to the west.
(about 400 feet away); Bergamini Building (about 500 feet away); Hook Building (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Martinez.
 
More about this marker. Marker is to the immediate right of the front door.
 
Regarding 815 Marina Vista. According to the Martinez Historical Society, "In 1855, William Jones built a pub on what is now the corner of Ferry and Marina Vista where it would be the first place passengers disembarking the ferry passed by. He lived above the pub with his family. The building was sold to Watkins Prosser in 1891. About 1914 - 1915 the building was moved to its present location. It was then purchased by Dr. Buckman who lived in most of the house and used one or two rooms for his medical practice."
 
Also see . . .  Walking Tour of Martinez. The Martinez Historical Society's virtual tour of Martinez, offering information and pictures of the historic buildings in the city. (Submitted on February 10, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,056 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement