Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Heinsdorff Bakery

 
 
The Heinsdorff Bakery Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 7, 2009
1. The Heinsdorff Bakery Marker
Inscription. In 1862, tinsmith Louis Robinson constructed this brick and stone building to replace his original frame store which was destroyed in the fire of August 20, 1859. In 1869 it became a bakery and store, a use it was to have over the next 40 years. The first baker was Adam Magers, who operated it until his death in 1874. Shortly thereafter John Heinsdorff took over its operation, and then John L. March from 1883 to 1888. The property was then purchased by Horace Edson Thorpe; after his death in 1900 it was operated by his children until sold to Fred and Emil Schwoerer in 1909. The deteriorated building was purchased and restored by Isabelle Bishop Dibble in the 1950s, and is presently owned by Edward and Francis Barnsley, who have completed the restoration.

Monument Erected by
Native Sons of the Golden West
Chispa Parlor 139 Incorporated
Dedicated March 18th, 1995 by
Fred Codoni, Grand President

 
Erected 1995 by Native Sons of the Golden West, Chispa Parlor 139.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 8.274′ N, 120° 27.99′ W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County
The Heinsdorff Bakery (now Murphys Antiques), constructed 1862 Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 7, 2009
2. The Heinsdorff Bakery (now Murphys Antiques), constructed 1862
. Marker is on Main Street near Algiers Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 466A Main Street, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of E.C.V. Saloon (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Compere Store (about 300 feet away); William Gordon Huff (about 300 feet away); E Clampus Vitus (about 300 feet away); Maj. James D. Savage (about 300 feet away); John Murphy (about 300 feet away); Peter L. Traver Building (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Murphys.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the south side of the building, accessible in the immediately adjacent courtyard.
 
Regarding The Heinsdorff Bakery. The building is currently an antiques store.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Heinsdorff Bakery Window Photo, Click for full size
July 5, 2010
3. The Heinsdorff Bakery Window
Traces of the window signage can still be seen.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 909 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   3. submitted on . • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement