Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chester in Chesterfield County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Farrar's Island

 
 
Farrar's Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 9, 2009
1. Farrar's Island Marker
Inscription. In 1611, Farrar's Island was the site of the "Citie of Henrico," one of Virginia's first four primary settlement areas under the Virginia Company of London. Later, it was part of a 2,000-acre land patent issued posthumously to William Farrar in 1637. Farrar, who arrived in Virginia from London in 1618 aboard the Neptune, invested in the company under its third charter. In 1626, Governor Sir George Yeardley appointed Farrar to the governor's Council, a position he occupied until 1632. He also served as a justice for two counties. Farrar family members resided on the island until they sold it to Thomas Randolph on 26 Jan. 1727.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K 199.)
 
Location. 37° 22.157′ N, 77° 25.07′ W. Marker is in Chester, Virginia, in Chesterfield County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. 1) 0.1 miles north of Osborne Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester VA 23831, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Osbornes (here, next to this marker); Proctor's Creek Fight (approx. 0.8 miles away); Into the "Bottle"
Farrar's Island Marker on Jeff Davis Highway image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 9, 2009
2. Farrar's Island Marker on Jeff Davis Highway
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of Chester Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Chester Station (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chester Station Fight (approx. 1.2 miles away); Halfway House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Half-Way House (approx. 1.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chester.
 
Also see . . .  Henricus Historical Park. (Submitted on February 10, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,596 times since then and 124 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement