Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Centenary Building

Walking Tour Stop 14

 
 
Centenary Building Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., January 29, 2009
1. Centenary Building Marker
Inscription. In 1827, a German Reformed congregation built a stone church at this location. At the time, a Methodist congregation was housed in a church on Church Alley. The location was not ideal due to boisterous behavior in the alley during church services and “offensive” odors coming from nearby stables. In 1833, the Methodist congregation decided to find a more suitable building and purchased the stone church. In addition to regular church services, the church was used for the matriculation, baccalaureate and commencement services of Dickinson College. When tensions arose within the congregation, a college-oriented group withdrew from the church and formed a second Methodist congregation.

In 1875, the two Methodist congregations decided to reunify. They tore down the stone church and replaced it with a two story brick church. Completed in 1877, it became known as the Centenary Church in recognition of the centenary of American Independence. The reunified Methodist congregation worshipped here for twelve more years until they decided to move closer to the Dickinson College campus. In 1889 the building was sold, and for the next 110 years it housed a variety of businesses.

In December 1999, a devastating fire caused severe damage to the old structure. The building, which is now known as the Centenary Building, was restored
Centenary Building and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., January 29, 2009
2. Centenary Building and Marker
through a public-private partnership led by 3-T Investors, LLP.

Images courtesy of the Cumberland County Historical Society.
 
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
 
Location. 40° 12.094′ N, 77° 11.476′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street (U.S. 11) and Pitt Street, on the right when traveling east on High Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 West High Street, Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carlisle's 250th Anniversary Mural (a few steps from this marker); Cumberland County Historical Society & Hamilton Library Association (within shouting distance of this marker); The Carlisle Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Prelude to Gettysburg (within shouting distance of this marker); James Wilson (within shouting distance of this marker); The High Street Train Stations (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlisle Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Butler (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Carlisle.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Carlisle Inc. - recognizing and promoting the history of Carlisle, PA. (Submitted on February 27, 2009, by Alan Duxbury of Carlisle, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.EducationIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 695 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement