Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Buckhead in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Buckhead

 
 
Buckhead Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 13, 2008
1. Buckhead Marker
Inscription. On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of

Buckhead

One of the earliest settlements in Morgan County, the area around Buckhead was still in close proximity to Native American Territory in the early 1800s. According to local lore, a group of hunters tracking game crossed the Oconee River from Greene County and found this area to be ideal for settlement. To attest to their good fortune, the head of a buck deer killed by the hunters was hung in a tree.

Though the town of Buckhead was formally incorporated by the Georgia Legislature in 1887 and recorded in 1908, the earliest document reference to this community dates to 1819 in an account ledger for a general store located here. By 1823, a post office had been constructed, and by the 1830s, the Georgia Railroad came through Buckhead. A Methodist Church was organized in 1824, and a Baptist Church in 1890. A four-room schoolhouse that had ten grade levels, employed eight teachers, and possessed an auditorium was constructed in 1900.

Buckhead also enjoyed a thriving commercial center that included four general stores, two drug stores, a bank, a cotton buyer’s office, three restaurants, a barber shop, a livery stable and a hotel. Industries included a cotton gin, a grist
Buckhead Marker and the Auditorium Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 13, 2008
2. Buckhead Marker and the Auditorium
The view is south, toward the railroad tracks and Parks Mill Road.
mill, and a blacksmith shop.

Several large fires have taken their toll on Buckhead through the years destroying many of its old buildings. Additionally, the agriculture economy has shifted from cotton production to dairy operations.
 
Erected 2007 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 33° 34.25′ N, 83° 21.833′ W. Marker is in Buckhead, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on West Main Street ¼ mile north of Parks Mill Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The marker is located at the fire station in Buckhead. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4741 West Main Street, Buckhead GA 30625, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Federal Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Mathews (approx. 2.8 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 3.5 miles away); Swords (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bethany (approx. 4.5 miles away); Park's Mill (approx. 4.5 miles away); Community Settlement (approx. 6.1 miles away); Springfield (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Buckhead.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USSettlements & Settlers
 
A Mural of Buckhead Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 13, 2008
3. A Mural of Buckhead
The mural, showing many of the surviving buildings in Buckhead, stands a few feet from the Buckhead marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 801 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement