Near Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Antioch Baptist Church
>>-- 3 mi. -->
In Sept. 1827, 4,000 people including many ministers attended a session of the Ocmulgee Association in the churchyard. A sermon by Antioch’s minister, Dr. Adiel Sherwood, started a revival that swept through about 22 counties bringing 16,000 converts in two years. Dr. Sherwood preached 333 sermons in 30 counties in that period.
In 1845 Antioch Church moved to its present location.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 104-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 30.282′ N, 83° 32.61′ W. Marker is near Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Monticello Highway (Georgia Route 83) and Godfrey Road, on the left when traveling south on Monticello Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennington (approx. 2.1 miles WWII B-25C Airplane Crash (approx. 2.6 miles away); Godfrey (approx. 3.8 miles away); Brownwood-Centennial (approx. 4 miles away); Reese (approx. 5.3 miles away); Fairview (approx. 6.1 miles away); Seven Islands Road (approx. 6.2 miles away); Dorsey (approx. 6.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.