Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Stoneman Raid

 
 
The Stoneman Raid Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, July 12, 2008
1. The Stoneman Raid Marker
Inscription. Closing in on Atlanta in July 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, found its vast fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest.” To force an evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. George Stonemanís cavalry [US] (2112 men and 2 guns) to cut the Central of Georgia R.R. by which the cityís defenders [CS] were supplied. Retreating from an attempt on Macon, Stoneman was intercepted on the 31st at Sunshine Church (19 miles NE of Macon) by Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., who, with only 1300 cavalry [CS], deluded him into believing that he was being surrounded. Stoneman covered the escape of Adamsí and Capronís brigades, then he surrendered, with about 600 men and his artillery and train, to what Iverson had convinced him was a superior force.

Clear of the field, both brigades marched toward Eatonton (22 miles S). At Murder Creek (8 miles SW of Eatonton), Capron turned toward Rutledge (9 miles W), through which he passed next day and joined Adams north of Madison. Adams continued to Eatonton and camped about five miles north of town on the Madison road.

Reaching Madison about 2 P.M. on August 1st, Adams “destroyed a large amount of commissary and quartermaster stores” and other property. Marching on, he met Capron and camped about midnight “twelve miles from the bridge crossing the Oconee River, near Athens.” Separated again next day, Adams reached the Union lines safely; but Capron, resting for two hours near Winder, was surprised before dawn on August 3rd and lost his entire command.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 104-2.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 35.508′ N, 83° 28.308′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (U.S. 278) and Foster Street, on the right when traveling east on South Main Street. Click for map. Marker is located at the Madison-Morgan Cultural Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 434 South Main Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The March to the Sea (a few steps from this marker); Advanced Education Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Foundation to Consolidation (within shouting distance of this marker); Joshua Hill Home (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town Commons (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Formal Southern Landscapes (about 500 feet away); Early Religious Life (about 600 feet away); Antebellum Architecture (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 858 times since then and 45 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement