Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital

 
 
Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 14, 2009
1. Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital Marker
Inscription. William H. Grant, a prominent Richmond tobacconist, built this mansion by 1856 on property acquired from John Wickham's estate. The house, an early example in Richmond of the Italianate style, reflected the wealth and sophistication of late antebellum society. In 1892, after years of mixed use, it was acquired by Sheltering Arms Hospital, founded in 1889 as a "haven of mercy" for impoverished Virginians. The building underwent alterations, including the construction of a connecting wing westward to the Leigh House, before the hospital moved to new quarters in 1965. The Grant House is currently owned by Virginia Commonwealth University.
 
Erected 1993 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA 40.)
 
Location. 37° 32.505′ N, 77° 25.847′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is on East Clay Street 0.1 miles west of North 11th Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23298, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Valentine Museum (a few steps from this marker); Maupin - Maury House (within shouting distance of this marker); Matthew Fontaine Maury
Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital Marker on E Clay St image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 14, 2009
2. Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital Marker on E Clay St
(within shouting distance of this marker); Wickham-Valentine House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Edward V. Valentine Sculpture Studio (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexander H. Stephens House Site (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); White House of the Confederacy (about 400 feet away); Presidentís Mansion (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Sheltering Arms History. (Submitted on February 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkScience & Medicine
 
Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital Plaques image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, February 14, 2009
3. Grant House / Sheltering Arms Hospital Plaques
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 852 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement