Near Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The town of Godfrey was incorporated by the Georgia Legislature on July 25, 1906. However, this community has much older roots. Local lore places the earliest geographic reference to a community in this area called Hamburg. By the early 1800s the community was known as Antioch, for the original Antioch church built there around 1809. By 1839 the area was known as Evansville, perhaps for a local academy that existed there.
One of the earliest industries in the area was a grist mill operated by the Walton Family known as Walton’s Mill. It was eventually destroyed by fire around 1950. Mary Perkins Walton, a descendent of the Walton Family, married Dr. James Ervine Godfrey, a former Confederate surgeon. Dr. and Mrs. Godfrey acquired land in this area through her family and owned a plantation called Egypt. For a time, this community was identified with that plantation and called Egypt. The community was later named after Dr. Godfrey around the time the post office was opened in the late 19th century.
By 1867 two Baptist churches and one Methodist church had been established. The first school within the community was established in the early 1900s. At its economic peak
Though no longer incorporated, because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Godfrey is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
Erected 2007 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
Location. 33° 27.633′ N, 83° 30.333′ W. Marker is near Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Godfrey Road and Antioch Church Road, on the left when traveling north on Godfrey Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. WWII B-25C Airplane Crash (approx. 1.2 miles away); Antioch Baptist Church (approx. 3.8 miles away); Pennington (approx. 3.8 miles away); Seven Islands Road (approx. 4.4 miles away); Fairview (approx. 4.6 miles away); Springfield (approx. 5.5 miles away); Union Chapel United Methodist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away); Georgia 4-H Clubs (approx. 6.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 888 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 30, 2016.