Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murphys in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store

 
 
Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 7, 2009
1. Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store Marker
Inscription. The stone portion built circa 1879 by Bernardo Bisso, called Stangetti, who ran a store until its sale to Sebastian Solari , circa 1881-83, who added the wooden portion and also operated a store. The stone section has walls more than 20 inches thick and 6 inches of clay between the ceiling and roof to protect the building from fire. In 1907 it was sold to the late John Cademartori, who ran the store until 1947, at which time his son Andrew succeeded him until its closure in 1966. At age 91, Mrs. Maggie Mercer, the wife of Walter J. Mercer, who discovered Mercer Caverns, remembers seeing the body of an Indian “Old Putney” packed away on a horse after being shot here by Bill Mullinix following previous “trouble”. The building is currently owned by the Union Public Utility District.

Dedicated March 8, 2003, by the
Native Sons of the Golden West
Robert M. Rogers, Grand President
Native Daughters of the Golden West
Margaret F. Mallette, Grand President

 
Erected 2003 by Native Sons and Daughters of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 8.254′ N, 120° 27.765′ 
Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 7, 2009
2. Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store
W. Marker is in Murphys, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 359 Main Street, Murphys, CA 95247, Murphys CA 95247, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Albert A. Michelson (within shouting distance of this marker); Murphy Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Murphys (within shouting distance of this marker); Native Sons of the Golden West (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Masonic Hall (about 400 feet away); Old Segale Building (about 500 feet away); The Old Fisk Building (about 600 feet away); Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Murphys.
 
More about this marker. Marker is to the left of the iron-shuttered door.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement