Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bostwick in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bostwick

 
 
Bostwick Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 9, 2008
1. Bostwick Marker
Inscription. On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of
Bostwick

Named in honor of the family who contributed substantially to the economic success of the community, Bostwick was incorporated by the Georgia legislature in 1902. By 1897, before it was incorporated, this community had a strong civic center including two cotton gins, grist mill, post office, doctor’s office, bank, and hotel. Although Bostwick was approximately 10 miles off of the major railroad line that ran between Augusta and Atlanta, it had its own rail line that ran between the town of Monroe in Walton County, and the towns of Apalachee and Madison in Morgan County. A five-room school house with ten grade levels was constructed in the 1890s. The Baptist Church was organized in 1900 and the Methodist Church was founded in 1905.

The cotton economy of the area was served by a cotton gin, constructed by John Bostwick in the early 1900s. At the beginning of the 21st century, cotton was a staple of crop of the Bostwick area, and could be seen under cultivation for acres around the town. It was ginned locally at the Bostwick Gin. As the economy transitioned, ornamental horticulture, including sod farms and landscape nurseries, continued the agricultural tradition in this
The Susie Agnes Hotel, in Bostwick. image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 9, 2008
2. The Susie Agnes Hotel, in Bostwick.
The marker adjoins the hotel (the marker is barely visible to the left in the photo, behind the pickup truck). The hotel, mentioned on the marker, is now used as the Bostwick City Office.
area.

Bostwick is recognized as a significant part of our county history because of its former thriving cotton-based economy and the many individuals who took pride in this community.
 
Erected 2007 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 33° 44.25′ N, 83° 30.867′ W. Marker is in Bostwick, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Bostwick Road (Georgia Route 83) 0 miles west of 1st Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is adjacent to the Susie Agnes Hotel, founded in 1902 and after its recent restoration, used as the city offices. Marker is in this post office area: Bostwick GA 30623, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mallory (approx. 3.8 miles away); Flat Rock (approx. 4 miles away); Moina Michael (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Poppy Lady (approx. 4.4 miles away); Fairplay (approx. 5.2 miles away); Apalachee (approx. 5.6 miles away); John Andrew (approx. 6.7 miles away); Hard Labor Creek State Park (approx. 7.3 miles away).
 
Categories. 20th CenturySettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 773 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement