Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Madison

 
 
Madison Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 19, 2009
1. Madison Marker
Inscription. On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of

Madison

Named in honor of U.S. President James Madison, the town of Madison was established as the permanent seat of Morgan County and incorporated December 12, 1809. Surveyor Lewis MacLean laid out the community using a typical Washington-type plan, characterized by a central public square defined by four principal streets - Monroe (now Main), Jefferson, Washington, and Hancock.

Madison prospered as the site of government, transportation, and commerce. The previous Morgan County Courthouse (c. 1845; lost to fire 1916) was erected here on the town square. The bustling community’s location also proved advantageous: first, as a stop along the main stagecoach route from Philadelphia via Charleston to New Orleans; later, as the crossroads of two major railroad lines; and now, as the intersection of an Interstate and three state highways.

As a commercial center of an agricultural economy, downtown Madison teamed with businesses serving the needs of cotton planters, small farmers, and townspeople alike. Wood frame storefronts dotted downtown and mixed with dwellings until the devastating Fire of 1869 destroyed forty-two structures and all but one business. The downtown area recovered
Madison Marker and the Madison U.S. Post Office Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 19, 2009
2. Madison Marker and the Madison U.S. Post Office
slowly and redeveloped in the present brick commercial pattern. The city of Madison's central business district remains the nexus of today's commercial in civic life, building on the foundation of the past two centuries.

Because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Madison is recognized as a significant part of our County's history.
 
Erected 2008 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 33° 35.741′ N, 83° 28.079′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 278) just east of East Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the U.S. Post Office in the old town square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 120 S. Main Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Banking Institutions (within shouting distance of this marker); Lodging Establishments (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civic Advancement (about 300 feet away); William Tappan Thompson (about 400 feet
Madison Marker, looking toward East Washington Street Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 19, 2009
3. Madison Marker, looking toward East Washington Street
away); Oliver Hardy, Genius of Comedy (about 400 feet away); In Memory of the Boys from Morgan County, Georgia (about 400 feet away); Freedom of Assembly (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 891 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement