Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Buckhead in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Swords

 
 
Swords Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 13, 2008
1. Swords Marker
Inscription. On the occasion of its Bicentennial, Morgan County placed this marker here to commemorate the community of

Swords

Named in honor of the family who contributed substantially to the economic success of the community, Swords has its roots in the success of the J.B. Swords Distillery. This industrial operation was an early manufacturer of whiskey and was a contemporary to Jack Daniels Distillery. Swords developed in proximity to the community of Blue Springs, one of the earliest communities in Morgan County. Blue Springs derived its name for the healthy natural water sources located in this area, which was an essential resource for Swords Distillery. In addition to the distillery, farms in the area produced cotton and timber, and in 1910 the Georgia Railroad constructed a side track and depot in Swords which facilitated easier transport for these commodities.

Formally incorporated by the Georgia Legislature on August 16, 1909, the Swords community boasted of a bank, post office, school building, and jail. Its commercial center boasted of a general supply store, blacksmith shop, grist mill, cotton gin, and several cotton warehouses. The Swords Methodist Church was constructed in 1912, and a community cemetery is located on Blue Springs Road in proximity to Lake Oconee. Prohibition in the 1920s
Swords Marker and the Swords United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
2. Swords Marker and the Swords United Methodist Church
brought about the demise of the distillery business. The reduction in the demand for passenger rail caused the removal of the depot in 1956, and the commercial center of Swords was destroyed by fire in the 1980s.

Though no longer incorporated, because of the individuals who take pride in this community, Swords is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
 
Erected 2007 by Morgan County Bicentennial Committee.
 
Location. 33° 32.733′ N, 83° 18.433′ W. Marker is near Buckhead, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Swords Road 0 miles east of Blue Springs Road, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located at the Swords United Methodist Church. Marker is in this post office area: Buckhead GA 30625, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The March to the Sea (approx. 0.2 miles away); Park's Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); Federal Raid (approx. 3.6 miles away); Buckhead (approx. 3.7 miles away); Park Home and Site of Park’s Mill (approx. 4 miles away); Fort Mathews (approx. 5 miles away); Stagecoach Road (approx. 6.3 miles away); Bethany (approx. 6.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Buckhead.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
Swords Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 20, 2009
3. Swords Marker
Looking toward the former commercial center of the community.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 854 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement