Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Folsom in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

St. John the Baptist Catholic Church

 
 
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 17, 2009
1. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church Marker
Inscription.
Founded 1857

 
Location. 38° 40.356′ N, 121° 10.793′ W. Marker is in Folsom, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is at the intersection of Sibley Street and Natomas Street, on the right when traveling east on Sibley Street. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the church to the left of the entrance doors. Marker is in this post office area: Folsom CA 95630, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Young Wo Memorial Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Folsom Terminal (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leidesdorff Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wells Fargo and Company (approx. 0.3 miles away); Folsom Pony Express Terminus (approx. 0.3 miles away); Folsom History Museum (approx. 0.3 miles away); Turning the Trains (approx. 0.3 miles away); J. Clifton Toney (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Folsom.
 
Also see . . .  History of St. Johnís Parish, Folsom, California, 1857-2005. In 1856, Fr. Quinn, pastor of St. Rose's in Sacramento, started a mission church in Folsom. This was thirty years before the Diocese of Sacramento came into being. The next year (1857), Joseph Alemany, archbishop of San Francisco, donated $115 to
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 17, 2009
2. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church and Marker
purchase land for a church in Folsom, just a few hundred yards from the American River. That same year, Fr. Quinn built the first house of worship in Folsom. The church was dedicated to St. John the Baptist and still stands on the grounds of the historic cemetery at the corner of Sibley and Natoma Streets. It is one of the oldest surviving building in Folsom and oldest church still in use in the diocese. It is now used for special occasions such as Masses on Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and weddings. (Submitted on February 18, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
St. John the Baptist Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 17, 2009
3. St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
View of Church from Adjoining Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 17, 2009
4. View of Church from Adjoining Cemetery
Cemetery Adjoining the Church image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 17, 2009
5. Cemetery Adjoining the Church
Example of Headstone in Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 17, 2009
6. Example of Headstone in Cemetery
In Memory of Michael William Glynn
Died March 11, 1870
Aged 1 year 5 months & 3 days
Native of Cal
___*___
In Memory of
Owen Glynn Died
Oct 16th 1873. Aged
55 years. Native of
Co. Calway Ireland
also
Mary Lopply. Died
Oct 12th 1871. Aged 37
Years. Native of Co
Mayo Ireland
Erected by Margaret Glynn, Wife of
Owen Glynn
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 2,466 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement