Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Thornville in Perry County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Zion Reformed Church

 
 
Zion Reformed Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., February 1, 2009
1. Zion Reformed Church Marker
Inscription. Zion (Ribel's) Church was built on this site in 1808. The log structure was located in the Zion Ridge Cemetery, adjacent to the first school in Thorn Township. The congregation of Zion Reformed Church is the oldest in Perry County still in existence. The church was officially organized in 1806 when the German Reformed and Lutheran congregations joined together in building the first church in Perry County. They purchased this land on June 30, 1806, and shared the building, alternating Sundays, until 1911. In 1803, Reverend Johannes Christian Koenig (John King) became the first minister to settle in Perry County and became the founding minister for the German Reformed congregation. In 1805, Reverend Wilhelm Georg Forster (William Foster) was the first Lutheran minister to settle in Perry County and was the founding minister for the Lutherans. The present Zion Reformed Church was built across the street from the original church in 1910.
 
Erected 2006 by Zion Reformed Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8-64.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 51.382′ N, 82° 23.559′ W. Marker
Zion Reformed Church and Marker Photo, Click for full size
By William Fischer, Jr., February 1, 2009
2. Zion Reformed Church and Marker
is in Thornville, Ohio, in Perry County. Marker is on High Point Road 0.1 miles east of Ohio Route 13, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8000 High Point Road, Thornville OH 43076, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Lutheran Synod (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Sheridan Monument / 1829 Courthouse (approx. 6 miles away); General Philip Henry Sheridan (approx. 6.1 miles away); A Seed of Catholic Education in Ohio / The Cradle of Catholicity in Ohio (approx. 6.2 miles away); The Sheridan Homestead (approx. 6.7 miles away); Buckeye Lake Park (approx. 7 miles away); Buckeye Lake Amusement Park (approx. 7 miles away); Fairmount Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,011 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement