Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
William MacFarland Patton
Dean, Department of Engineering 1904-1905
A distinguished engineer, educator, and author, William MacFarland Patton chaired Civil Engineering at VPI and became the first dean of the Department of Engineering. He worked as the engineer on numerous projects in several countries, wrote definitive books on Civil Engineering, and headed engineering departments at two colleges. Honored as a patriot, he held the rank of Colonel in the Virginia Militia.
Patton Hall first completed 1926
Erected by VPI, Class of 1953.
Location. 37° 13.743′ N, 80° 25.323′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Drillfield Drive, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Earl Bertram Norris (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roy Jay Holden (about 300 feet away); Julian Ashby Burruss (about 300 feet away); April 16th Memorial (about 400 feet away); Virginia Tech War Memorial Chapel Paul Ernest Torgersen (about 500 feet away); The Alwood Oak (about 600 feet away); William Bradford Alwood (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Blacksburg.
Also see . . . Patton Hall | Virginia Tech. (Submitted on February 19, 2009, by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Education • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 652 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Kathy Walker of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.