Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fork Shoals in Greenville County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Erected by Sullivan - Dunklin Chapter D.A.R.

 
 
Erected by Sullivan - Dunklin Chapter D.A.R. Marker - Front Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, July 7, 2008
1. Erected by Sullivan - Dunklin Chapter D.A.R. Marker - Front
Inscription.
[Front]:
Approximately 2 miles s.e. is the corner of the Old Indian Boundary Line. Nearby is also the original site 1785 of the following:

Lebanon Church, the Rev. Mark Moore's School, the Grove Settlement.

The church organizers 1785 were: the Rev. Mark Moore & families of Arnolds, Bowmans, Dunklins, Camps, Gores, Ragsdales, Sullivan, Ridgeways. Property donor - Mary Charlton Sullivan.

Builders of the 2nd structure 1832: Rev. Barnett Babb, Benj. Camp, Wm. Mears, Abijah Pinson. Property donor - Mrs. Hewlitt Sullivan.

Trustees of 3rd building 1859 were: Anderson, Humbert, Latimers, McCulloughs, Ragsdales, Sullivans. Property conveyors & erectors were: Dr. & Mrs. John Sullivan, Mr. & Mrs. James Latimer, John Jerry, Dr. James Sullivan.

[Reverse]:
Revolutionary Soldiers and Heroines of the Lebanon Area
[Left-Hand Column]
Col. Benj. Arnold, Col. Jonathan Downs, Col. Jhn. Brockman, Col. Benj. Kilgore, Col. Samuel Wharton, Col. Wm. Toney, Capt. Thos. Hamilton, Capt. George Martin, Capt. Jno. Ridgeway, Capt. Hewlet Sullivan, Lt. Jno. Camp, Lt. Wm. Choice, Lt. Jno. Calhoun, Lt. Joseph Dunklin, Lt. Oen Sullivan, Lt. James Sullivan, Sgt. Claiborn Sullivan, Sgt. Stephen Sullivan, Sgt. Peter Ragsdale, Charles Sullivan, Mary Charlton
Erected by Sullivan - Dunklin Chapter D.A.R. Marker - Reverse Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, September 12, 2009
2. Erected by Sullivan - Dunklin Chapter D.A.R. Marker - Reverse
Sullivan, Pleasant Sullivan, Hendrick Arnold, Thos. Arnold, Temperance Arnold, Charity Adhold, Ann Hendrick Arnold, Elizabeth Harvey

[Right-Hand Column]:
Joel Chandler, Wm. Davenport, Mary Dunklin, Jno. Dunklin, Jeremiah Glenn, Thos. Gore, Wm. Terry, Jane Hicks, Wm. Holland, Martha Johnson, Wm. Kelly, Thos. Moore, Wm. Perritt, Thos. Lindley, James McDavid, Henry Machen, Martin Mahaffey, Edward Nash, George Mayberry, Jno. O'Dell, Wm. Powell, Wm. Shipp, Clayborn Sims, Robt. Scott, David Smith, Benj. Arnold, Sr., Samuel Bolling, Thos. Camp, Jerry Webb
 
Erected by Sullivan - Dunklin Chapter D.A.R.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 34° 33.7′ N, 82° 15.917′ W. Marker is in Fork Shoals, South Carolina, in Greenville County. Marker is on Dunklin Bridge Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located in the cemetery adjacent to Lebanon Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1450 Dunklin Bridge Road, Honea Path SC 29654, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lebanon Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Sullivan (Grove) Cemetery (approx. 0.8
Lebanon Methodist Church and Cemetery<br>Marker Center Far Right Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, July 7, 2008
3. Lebanon Methodist Church and Cemetery
Marker Center Far Right
miles away); Tullyton (approx. 3.7 miles away); Fairview Church / Fairview Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Lickville Presbyterian Church (approx. 6.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Mt. Bethel United Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Dials Methodist Church (approx. 6.5 miles away); Hopkins Farm (approx. 7.1 miles away); Toney's Store / Militia Muster Ground (approx. 7.1 miles away); Battle of Great Cane Brake (approx. 7.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fork Shoals.
 
Additional comments.
1. Rev. Mark Moore
Rev. Mark Moore taught at the Mount Bethel Academy, located in Newberry District and founded by Bishop Asbury from Virginia on March 20, 1795. Moore served at the school for six years. He was followed by Mr. Hammond, father of Governor James H. Hammond. During the late 1700s and early 1800s, Mount Bethel and Willington were the high grade schools this far inland. Mount Bethel closed its doors in 1820. Many of its
Lebanon Methodist Church Steeple Photo, Click for full size
By Brian Scott, July 7, 2008
4. Lebanon Methodist Church Steeple
students now attended nearby Tabernacle Academy. In 1835, the Cokesbury School opened; many feel that Mount Ariel Academy was its germ. (Source: http://src1.cas.sc.edu/dept2/iss/SCNames/index.php?action=showPage&book=2&volume=17&page=42.)
    — Submitted February 21, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,950 times since then and 141 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement