Inscription. About one eighth mile south east on Elk River, American forces here and at Fort Hollingsworth (Elk Landing) repulsed the British under Admiral Cockburn in their attempt to capture Elkton, April 29, 1813.
By William Pfingsten, July 12, 2007
|1. Site of Fort Defiance Marker|
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 39° 35.527′ N, 75° 51.392′ W. Marker is near Elkton, Maryland, in Cecil County. Marker is on Old Field Point Road 0.1 miles north of Jones Chapel Road, on the right. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkton MD 21921, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hollingsworth House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Fort Hollingsworth (approx. one mile away); Holly Hall (approx. 1.6 miles away); “Partridge Hill” (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fighting Back (approx. 1.8 miles away); War in the Chesapeake (approx. 1.8 miles away); "O! say can you see..." (approx. 1.8 miles away); Elkton (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elkton.
Additional keywords. British Navy Rear Admiral Sir George Cockburn
Credits. This page originally submitted on July 12, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,781 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on July 12, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |