Inscription. Having remained with his command
in the vicinity of Winchester since the
Battle of Sharpsburg/Antietam, by
November 22, 1862, Gen. Thomas J.
“Stonewall” Jackson was again on
the march. With more than 32,000
soldiers, Jackson’s force made its
way up the snow-covered Shenan
doah Valley toward New Market and
then toward Columbia Bridge by
way of this gap.
By J. J. Prats, September 29, 2006
|1. Jackson's 2nd Corps Established Marker|
On reaching a point atop Massanutten Mountain, sometime late
in the evening on November 23,
Jackson took the rare opportunity
to rest and made camp nearby. In
the brisk air of the following morning, as his staff admired a command
ing view of the Page Valley below,
Jackson emerged from his tent and
unintentionally prompted his staff
to redirect their awe upon the old
hero of Manassas. Having recently
been promoted to lieutenant general
and wearing a new coat given him
by General J.E.B. Stuart, a tall hat
purchased by his mapmaker, Jedediah Hotchkiss, and a captured sword
donated by a cavalryman, Jackson
ignored the stares and boldly
announced to his staff, “Young gentlemen, this is no longer the headquarters of the Army of the Valley,
but of the Second Corps of the
Army of Northern Virginia.”
The march that followed in the
succeeding days took the new corps
across the South Fork of the Shenandoah at the site of the
Bridge near Alma, across Fisher’s
Gap, and out of the Valley in order
to rendezvous with Gen. Robert E.
Lee and the main body of the Army
of Northern Virginia. Less than
three weeks later, Jackson’s Corps
would be holding the Confederate
right flank as Federal forces under General Ambrose Burnside unsuccessfully attempted to dislodge Lee from his strong line of defense at the Battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia on December 13, 1862.
By J. J. Prats, September 29, 2006
|2. Jackson’s 2nd Corps Established Marker|
Erected by Summers-Koontz Camp #490, SCV, with a grant made possible through the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans, and the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 38.564′ N, 78° 36.674′ W. Marker is near New Market, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker is on U.S. 211 4 miles from New Market, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at the George Washington National Forest Visitors Center at New Market Gap between Luray and New Market. Marker is in this post office area: Luray VA 22835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Page County / Shenandoah County (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of New Market (approx. 3.1 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of New Market (approx. 3.1 miles away); The Bloody Cedars (approx. 3.2 miles away); 54th Pennsylvania Monument (approx. 3.2 miles away); A Genuine Relic (approx. 3.2 miles away); The Old Home of William F. Rupp (approx. 3.2 miles away); Gen. John Sevier (approx. 3.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in New Market.
By Robert H. Moore, II
|3. Jackson’s 2nd Corps Established Marker|
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 23, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,614 times since then. Last updated on February 25, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. 3. submitted on January 13, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |