Luray in Page County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Confederate Heroes Monument
if their memories part
from our land & heart
and a wrong to them & a shame for us
the glories they won shall not wane for us
in legend & lay
our heroes in gray
shall forever live over again for us.
both private and chief of the
is this tribute
1861 - 1865.
Location. 38° 39.91′ N, 78° 26.904′ W. Marker is in Luray, Virginia, in Page County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (Business U.S. 211) and Resevoir Avenue (County Route 689), on the right when traveling east on East Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Luray VA 22835, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Chapman-Ruffner House (approx. half a mile away); Cavalry Engagement (approx. 0.6 miles away); Massanutten School (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Slave Auction Block (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fisher’s Hill and Yager’s Mill (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mt. Carmel Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); White House Ferry (approx. 0.8 miles away); Willow Grove Mill (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Luray.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Page County Civil War markers
Also see . . . Avenue of Armies: Civil War Sites and Stories of Luray and Page County, Virginia. (Submitted on March 20, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.)
1. The Monument
According to one source, the Confederate Heroes Monument (also known as "Barbee's Monument") was inspired by a visit by the sculptor to the battlefield of Gettysburg. While Union monuments were numerous, at that time, there was but one for the Confederate soldiers. Whatever the actual inspiration, Herbert Barbee got the idea for the pose from his youth. At some point, upon passing through Thornton's Gap or near his father's birthplace at Hawsberry Inn near panorama, Barbee saw a Confederate
The "Barbee" Confederate monument was sponsored by donations from private citizens throuhgout the South and even Northern states. Portraying a Confederate soldier without socks, shoes with holes, and tattered clothing, the monument differed from any other known. When placed on the outskirts of town prior to its dedication on July 21, 1898, locals thought it an odd place. However, over time the town of Luray has grown to encompass the monument within its limits today.
It is possible that the local Confederate veterans did not think much of the monument. When dedicated, no Confederate veterans were on the program nor were any identified as having marched in the grand procession that was a part of the dedication day. On that day, however, the veterans were having a picnic within about 150 yards of the monument site. In 1912, the members of the local camp of United Confederate Veterans (the Rosser-Gibbons Camp) began raising funds for a monument of their own. That monument was dedicated in 1918 and is located .8 miles to the SW, along Cave Street.
— Submitted February 5, 2009, by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,583 times since then and 178 times this year. Last updated on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 6. submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.