Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A notable landmark at the time of the Battle of Peachtree Creek - July 20, 1864.
It stood, not only at the center of Federal troop alignment along Collier Rd., but was the storm-center of the conflict that raged here, since the stream valley was a strategic approach to the Federal center toward which the Confederate forces (Walthall’s & Loring’s divisions of Stewart’s Corps) made their heaviest attacks.
Erected 1955. (Marker Number 060-39.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 48.607′ N, 84° 24.13′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Collier Road NW and Redland Road NW, on the right when traveling west on Collier Road NW. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30309, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrison’s Brigade (a few steps from this marker); Scott's Brigade (within shouting distance The Federal Forces Engaged/The Confederate Forces Engaged (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Federal Advance (about 300 feet away); The Federal Advance, Cont./The Change of Command (about 300 feet away); The Confederate Attack (about 300 feet away); The Confederate Attack, Cont. (about 300 feet away); The Battle of Peachtree Creek (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
Also see . . . Tour of the Battlefield. (Submitted on February 26, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Antebellum South, US • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,624 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.