Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Luis Obispo in San Luis Obispo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

J. P. Andrews Building

City of San Luis Obispo Historic Building

 
 
J. P. Andrews Building Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 6, 2008
1. J. P. Andrews Building Marker
Inscription. On this site, the storied original Andrews Hotel stood. The grand opening of that remarkable structure was celebrated July 3, 1885. Nine and one half months later, on Palm Sunday, April 18, 1886 it burned to the ground. On the ashes, the present structure, the J.P. Andrews Building was erected to serve as the offices of the J.P. Andrews Banking Company. The building was completed in 1893 and the J.P. Andrews Banking Company opened for business January 2, 1894. J.P. Andrews was described by editor Myron Angel as “a man of great force and iron will”. He made his first money in ranching, founded the Bank of San Luis Obispo in 1893, among the many enterprises which were the products of his tireless industry. The great grandson of Revolutionary War General Charles Colesworth Pinckney, John Pinckney Andrews came to California in 1857 from Montgomery County, North Carolina, and settled in San Luis Obispo County in 1859. The J.P. Andrews building has housed many businesses, among them the commercial bank, the automobile club, a restaurant and a newspaper.

The restoration process of the main floor offices was accomplished by Mission Mortgage Exchange of San Luis Obispo, April 6, 1981.
 
Location. 35° 16.909′ N, 120° 39.686′ W. Marker is in San
J. P. Andrews Building (Constructed 1893) Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, September 6, 2008
2. J. P. Andrews Building (Constructed 1893)
Luis Obispo, California, in San Luis Obispo County. Marker is at the intersection of Monterey Street and Osos Street, on the right when traveling south on Monterey Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 998 Monterey Street, San Luis Obispo CA 93401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of First County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); San Luis Obispo Sesquicentennial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); General John C. Fremont (about 700 feet away); “Love” and “Double Joy” (about 800 feet away); Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail (about 800 feet away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Ah Louis Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chong's Candy Store (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in San Luis Obispo.
 
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on a pole, just to the left of the corner entrance.
 
Also see . . .
1. Pioneers of San Luis Obispo County & Environs. Excepted public domain biographies of pioneers in San Luis Obispo County, including an extended piece on J.P. Andrews. (Submitted on February 27, 2009.) 

2. Koberl at Blue. Website of the restaurant and wine bar that occupies the corner portion of the building.
J. P. Andrews Building - Wide Shot image, Click for more information
Photo Courtesy of http://www.sanluisobisposrestaurants.com
3. J. P. Andrews Building - Wide Shot
No historical content, however. (Submitted on February 27, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,218 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement