Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Isabel in Cameron County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Port of Matamoros

 
 
Port of Matamoros Marker image. Click for full size.
By Debbi Hook, February 26, 2009
1. Port of Matamoros Marker
Inscription. The Port of Matamoros was established in 1824. Commercial cargo, shipped mainly from New Orleans and other U.S. ports, was unloaded at the Port and transported overland to Matamoros, Reynosa, Camargo, Monterrey, and Mier. Mexico maintained a garrison and at least one Navy vessel at the Port. This area was the site of numerous Naval encounters between the U.S. and Mexico in 1836-37, during and after the Texas Revolution. Jurisdiction over the Port was finally settled in 1846 when forces of U.S. General Zachary Taylor occupied the area at the outset of the Mexican War.
 
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4082.)
 
Location. 26° 4.699′ N, 97° 12.416′ W. Marker is in Port Isabel, Texas, in Cameron County. Marker can be reached from Maxan Road. Click for map. Located to the left of Pirates Landing Restaurant and the right of Pirates Landing Pier. Marker is in this post office area: Port Isabel TX 78578, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Camp Belknap (approx. 8.1 miles away); Battle of Palmito Ranch (approx. 10 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Matamoros Expedition of 1835-36 - The Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Brazos Santiago Harbor
It was also known as Brazos Santiago Harbor, and Los Brazos de Santiago. This naturally occuring deep water harbor, provided a safe anchorage for deep draft sailing vessels, that could not cross the shallow sand bar blocking the mouth of the Rio Grande. Shallow draft river steamboats would lighter the cargo from these deep sea cargo vessels. They would then navigate up river on the Rio Grande as far as Camargo, Tamaulipas, and Rio Grande City, Texas. This naturally occuring deep water harbor, situated in the extreme Northwest corner of the Gulf of Mexico, was also the landing place of Spanish conquistadores, dating as far back as 1519, looking for the elusive Darien Straight, a short cut to China. Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted November 7, 2010, by Joseph P. Linck, Jr of Brownsville, Texas.

 
Categories. War, Mexican-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Debbi Hook of Laguna Vista, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,866 times since then and 111 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Debbi Hook of Laguna Vista, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement