Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Homestead by the Main Road

 
 
Homestead by the Main Road Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Homestead by the Main Road Marker
Inscription. Lee Hall Mansion is the only Italianate antebellum plantation house on the lower Peninsula. It was completed in 1859 and was home to Richard D. Lee, justice of the peace for Warwick County. In 1850 Lee purchased a 452-acre tract of land, which was listed as “the homestead by the main road.” He began construction of this house in the mid-1850s.

Built on high ground, Lee Hall Mansion provided a commanding view of the countryside and was visible to travelers on the Great Warwick Road. Lee’s stately home consisted of three floors, 12 rooms and fireplaces and over 6,000 square feet. It served as the headquarters for Confederate generals Joseph E. Johnston and John B. Magruder from March through May 1862. The Confederate War Department rented 8 rooms from Mr. Lee.

Several architectural styles are visible at Lee Hall. Scrolled bracketed cornices support the Italianate porticos and low-hipped roof. The interior contains three original plaster ceiling medallions and a Georgian symmetrical floor plan with rooms opening into a long central hallway. The exterior also has Greek Revival dentils on the architrave and Gothic columns near the sidelights.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location.
Marker at Lee's Hall Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker at Lee's Hall
37° 11.982′ N, 76° 34.554′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is located on the grounds of Lee Hall Mansion. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Large Brick Kitchen (a few steps from this marker); Largest and Most Valuable Estate in the County (within shouting distance of this marker); Master and Slaves (within shouting distance of this marker); An Earthwork in Front (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lee Hall (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Lee Hall (about 800 feet away); Lee Hall Village (approx. 0.4 miles away); C&O "Peninsula Extension" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. The bottom right of the marker contains a photograph of Lee Hall Mansion, c. 1937. Photo: Works Progress Administration.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers located at Lee Hall.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lee Hall Mansion. (Submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Lee Hall Mansion Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Lee Hall Mansion

2. The Peninsula Campaign. (Submitted on February 28, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 785 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement