Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Endview Spring

The Civil War at Endview

 

—A living history museum —

 
The Endview Spring Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. The Endview Spring Marker
Inscription. The fresh water bubbling from this natural spring has supported wildlife and the various residents on this property: Indian hunting parties, the Harwood/Curtis families, and military encampments. During the American Revolution, General George Washington’s soldiers stopped at Endview Plantation’s spring to quench their thirst on September 28, 1781. The Continental Army was advancing from Williamsburg to encircle the British garrison at Yorktown. According to family legend, the men drank so much water that a family servant warned Mrs. Harwood that the spring would go dry. Mrs. Harwood reportedly calmed her slave’s fear about the water supply, and the troops marched refreshed towards Yorktown.

The spring also made Endview Plantation an excellent location for organizing and training local volunteer units in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and the Civil War. In addition, the spring provided water for the Confederate and Union hospitals located at Endview.
 
Erected by Endview Living History Museum.
 
Location. 37° 12.648′ N, 76° 34.142′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker
Marker at Endview Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker at Endview
The spring used by soldiers during from three different wars can be seen in the photo beside the marker.
is on the grounds of the Endview living history museum. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Dairy Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Endview (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Endview (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lebanon Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aviation Field Yorktown (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lebanon Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee Hall (approx. ¾ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. The bottom right of the marker contains a painting of “Washington at Endview” by muralist Sidney L. King. The top of the marker features a photograph with the caption “Endview’s spring, which was once covered by a cooling springhouse, as depicted in this c. 1915 image, still flows and feeds one of the streams that form the headwaters of the Warwick River. At one time the main roadway ran between the house and spring.”
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers found at the Endview Plantation.
 
Also see . . .
Endview Plantation House Photo, Click for full size
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Endview Plantation House
The grounds of this plantation hosted soldiers from the Revolutionary War, War of 1812 and the Civil War. The spring is located just south of the house.
 History of Endview Plantation. Endview Plantation website. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. War of 1812War, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement