Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Dairy Building

The Civil War at Endview

 

—A living history museum —

 
The Dairy Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. The Dairy Building Marker
Inscription. In the South, dairy buildings were small structures, usually 14 feet square with a gable roof. The buildings’ overhanging eaves, louvered ventilators, and insulated walls were designed to keep the milk cool inside. Milk was placed in shallow tubs for approximately ten hours until the cream separated and rose to the surface. Slaves collected the cream and churned it into butter. Dairy buildings were a measure of affluence, as milk, butter, and cream were luxuries of the planter class.

Sidebar: Captain Samuel Mathews, Sr. established Mathews Manor (later renamed Denbigh Plantation) on the banks of the Warwick River near Deep Creek in 1625. Mathews was a prominent Virginian who commanded the colony’s militia and served as a member of the governor’s council. The Digges family purchased the property in 1720 and built this dairy building, c. 1740. By 1813, Richard Young acquired Denbigh Plantation, which remained in the family’s possession until the property was sold to a developer in 1963. After extensive archaeological work, a subdivision was constructed in the 1970s. Subsequently, the City of Newport News acquired the dairy building and moved it to Endview Plantation in 1999.
 
Erected by Endview Living History Museum.
 
Location. 37° 
Marker at the Endview Plantation image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker at the Endview Plantation
12.636′ N, 76° 34.205′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from Yorktown Road (Virginia Route 238), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is on the grounds of the Endview living history museum. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Endview Spring (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Endview (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Endview (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lebanon Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Aviation Field Yorktown (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Lebanon Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lee Hall (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. The bottom right of the marker features a 1937 photograph of The Denigh Plantation dairy building. Photo courtesy of The Library of Virginia.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Markers found at the Endview Plantation.
 
Also see . . .  History of Endview Plantation. Endview Plantation website. (Submitted on March 1, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Endview Plantation House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Endview Plantation House
The Dairy Building is located behind the plantation's main house.
 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 801 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement