Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Northwood in Worth County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

South Shell Rock Lutheran

 
 
South Shell Rock Lutheran Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Keith L, July 22, 2008
1. South Shell Rock Lutheran Marker
Inscription.
Congregation organized
by Rev C.L. Clausen
1869. Church erected
on "Rustad Bakke."
Dedicated 1875
Destroyed by fire 1920


Iowa 150
Celebrate Our State
1846 1996

 
Erected 1996 by the Worth County Sesquicentennial Commission.
 
Location. 43° 26.646′ N, 93° 14.505′ W. Marker is near Northwood, Iowa, in Worth County. Marker is on County Road 105 west of Nettle Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at the entrance to South Shell Rock Cemetery. County Road 105 was previously State Highway 105, and therefore does not follow the county road alphanumeric system. Marker is at or near this postal address: 820 County Road 105, Northwood IA 50459, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Peoples Gas & Electric Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); IOOF - Erickson Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Emery Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Anchor Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Hunter Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Paramount Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Amundson-Grosland Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); Index Building (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Northwood.
 
Also see . . .
1. History of Northwood, Iowa. "The first religious service in Worth County was held by Rev. C. L. Clausen, of St. Ansgar, Mitchell County, who preached to the Norwegian settlers. After a number of missionary trips to the County of Worth, he assisted in the organization of the first Lutheran Church in the county. This was called the Shell Rock Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation." (Submitted on March 2, 2009.) 

2. History of Worth County. "The first settlement in the county was an off-shoot of the Scandinavian colony led into Mitchell County by Rev. C. L. Clausen in the Spring of 1858." (Submitted on March 2, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,075 times since then and 53 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement