Monterey in Highland County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Town of Monterey
Union forces occupied Monterey on April 6, 1862. The town remained in Federal hands until after the Battle of McDowell, May 8, 1862. The Osborne Wilson-Fenn House, on Main Street, was Union Gen. Robert Milroy’s headquarters.
Displaying the ambiguity with which many western Virginians approached the Civil War, Highland County’s government waited until June 1862, after the Battle of McDowell, to take the Oath of Allegiance to the Confederacy.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 24.761′ N, 79° 34.944′ W. Marker is in Monterey, Virginia, in Highland County. Marker is on High Street (U.S. 250), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Monterey VA 24465, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles Highland County Confederate Monument (here, next to this marker); Camp Allegheny (approx. 7.1 miles away); Highland County / West Virginia (approx. 7.3 miles away); West Virginia / Virginia (approx. 7.4 miles away in West Virginia); Village of McDowell (approx. 7.5 miles away); McDowell VA - May 8, 1862 (approx. 7.5 miles away); Battle of McDowell (approx. 7.6 miles away); a different marker also named Highland County / West Virginia (approx. 7.7 miles away).
More about this marker. In the upper portion of the marker is a photo of A reunion of Confederate soldiers outside the Highland inn, after 1904. On the right is a map showing other Civil War sites in the area. In the upper right is a portrait of Gen. Robert Milroy.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,122 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. 2. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on , by Robert H. Moore, II of Winchester, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.