College Park in Prince George's County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
(Left Tablet) The University of Maryland The Maryland Agricultural College was founded on this campus in 1856, to become the second agricultural college founded in America. In 1864 it became the Land Grant College of Maryland, and in 1916 it was taken over entirely by the state, to become the Maryland State College. In 1920 all of the property of the old University of Maryland, which had been founded in 1807 in Baltimore as the College of Medicine of Maryland, was turned over to the governing board of the Maryland State College, and the two institutions were thus merged, to become the present University of Maryland.
Location. 38° 59.32′ N, 76° 56.147′ W. Marker is in College Park, Maryland, in Prince George's County. Marker is at the intersection of Campus Drive and Baltimore Avenue (U.S. 1), in the median on Campus Drive. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: College Park MD 20740, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Engineering 100 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Maryland's First State Tree Nursery, 1914-1950 Clarence Mitchell, Jr. (approx. ¼ mile away); The Rossborough Inn (approx. ¼ mile away); “On the Shoulders of Giants” (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in College Park.
More about this marker. The tablets are on the left set of gateposts flanking the outbound lanes.
Also see . . . University of Maryland Timeline. (Submitted on March 15, 2006.)
1. First Agricultural College
The Complete Guide to Maryland Historic Markers by Joe A. Swisher (1996), reports that an earlier (now missing) marker near this location contained the following information: "The First Agricultural College and experimental farm in the western hemisphere, started in 1854 by the Maryland State Agricultural Society through private subscription to stock, chartered and enlarged by the Maryland Legislature in 1856, merged with the University of Maryland in 1920."
— Submitted March 27, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.
Categories. • Agriculture • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,653 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.