Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Outville in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Outville

 
 
Outville Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 5, 2009
1. Outville Marker
Inscription. Arriving in 1853, the Central Ohio Railroad called this place “Kirkersville Station,” and it was later changed by stationmaster James Outcalt, who renamed the town Outville after himself. As rail traffic increased in Ohio, a successor company, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, built numerous rural depots, this one in 1899. After 1940, the depot was closed and then sold and moved from town in 1963. The Harrison Township Trustees arranged for the return of the depot to Outville in 1993. Today, it stands as the only one of its type remaining on this line, and one of only a handful of original railroad buildings extant between Columbus and Pittsburgh. It serves as a reminder of local railroad and transportation history. The Queen Anne, Stick/Eastlake architectural style depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.
 
Erected 2003 by Teegarden-Centennial Covered Bridge Association, Columbiana County Engineer's Office, Columbiana County Commissioners, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 15-45.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 59.648′ N, 82° 35.917′ 
B&O Railroad Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 5, 2009
2. B&O Railroad Depot Marker
Constructed 1899 by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, Baltimore, Maryland.
Restored 2005 with funding provided by the Harrison Township Trustees, and by a grant provided by the Government of the United States of America, Transportation Enrichment Act, administered through the Ohio Department of Transportation.
This building is dedicated to the hard work, foresight, leadership and perseverance of Douglas B. "Doug" Smith, Harrison Township Trustee, 1979-2005
On This Tenth Day of December, 2005
W. Marker is in Outville, Ohio, in Licking County. Click for map. Marker is next to the Outville Depot, in the Harrison Township Community Complex off Outville Road (Ohio Route 40), just south of the railroad tracks. Marker is in this post office area: Pataskala OH 43062, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kirkersville (approx. 2.4 miles away); Mile Markers (approx. 2.4 miles away); Conine Homestead (approx. 4 miles away); Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 3496 Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); Pataskala Elementary School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Etna (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hebron (approx. 5.5 miles away); Major General Charles Griffin (approx. 5.6 miles away).
 
Categories. 20th CenturyNotable PersonsRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Outville Depot and Markers image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 5, 2009
3. Outville Depot and Markers
Entrance to Harrison Township Community Complex and Depot image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., February 5, 2009
4. Entrance to Harrison Township Community Complex and Depot
Looking south along Outville Road (Ohio Route 40)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement