Jackson in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Monument to Women of the Confederacy
To the women of the Confederacy “Whose pious ministrations to our wounded soldiers soothed the last hours of those who died far from the objects of their tenderest love, whose domestic labors contributed much to supply the wants of our defenders in the field, whose zealous faith in our cause shone a guiding star undimmed by the darkest clouds of war, whose fortitude sustained them under all the privations to which they were subjected, whose floral tribute annually expresses their enduring love and reverence for our sacred dead; and whose patriotism will teach their children to emulate the deeds of our revolutionary sires.” Jefferson Davis
United Confederate Veterans Honor the Memory of the Confederate Women of Mississippi.
Devoted daughters of the heroic women and noble men, they keep the mounds of loved ones sweet with flowers and perpetuated in marble and bronze the granite characters of a soldiery that won the admiration of the world and a womanhood whose ministrations were as tender as an angels benediction.
Their smiles inspired hope; their tender hands soothed the pangs of pain; their prayers encouraged faith in god; and when the dragon of
“Lest We Forget”.
They loved their land because it was their own, and scorned to seek another reason why, calamity was their touchstone; and in the ordeal of fire their fragility was tempered to the strength of steel. Angels of comfort, their courage and tenderness soothed all wounds of body and of spirit more than medicines. They girded their gentle hearts with fortitude, and suffering all things, hoping all things fed the failing fires of patriotism to the end. The memory and example of their devotion shall endure.
Erected 1917 by United Confederate Veterans.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 32° 18.195′ N, 90° 10.931′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Mississippi, in Hinds County. Marker is at the intersection of Mississippi Street and North Congress Street, in the median on Mississippi Street. Click for map. Located at The Mississippi State Capitol Building. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson MS 39201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S.S. Mississippi (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Capitol Rally (about 600 feet away); Greenwood Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greyhound Bus Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carter Jewelers (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Eagle and Bowman Hotels (approx. ¼ mile away); Smith Robertson School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mississippi's Old Capitol (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
Regarding Monument to Women of the Confederacy. The central figure is a female representing Fame, whose robes flow behind her giving the illusion of wings. On her proper left is a wounded Confederate soldier, who lies with his back against a broken cannon and grasps a flagpole in his proper left hand. He is supported and comforted by Fame. On Fame's proper right is a young Confederate woman who wears long robes and holds a palm frond in her proper right hand. Fame places a laurel wreath on the Confederate woman's head, a gesture that symbolizes victory and the strength of Confederate women during crisis.
Also see . . . Smithsonian AmericanArt Museum. Monument to the Women of the Confederacy, (sculpture): Inspired by the 1907 United Confederate Veterans' project to erect a monument in each southern state to the women of the Confederacy, the Mississippi Legislature of 1910 passed "An act to erect a monument to the Women of the Confederacy," which created a commission charged with the selection and erection of the monument on the Capitol grounds. The cornerstone was laid by the Grand Lodge F. & A. M. of Mississippi on June 3, 1912, and the bronze sculpture was cast in 1917. The sculpture cost $20,000. IAS files contain the full text of base inscriptions, related newsclippings and a copy of the dedication booklet. (Submitted on March 4, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,644 times since then and 113 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.