Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rock Hill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Rock Hill Depots / Rock Hill Street Railway

 
 
Rock Hill Depots Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, October 12, 2008
1. Rock Hill Depots Marker
Inscription.
Rock Hill Depots
The first of six railroad depots nearby was built in 1851 on the Charlotte & S.C. RR, after the citizens of Ebenezer objected to a new railroad yard proposed there. The town that grew up here was named Rock Hill after the flint hill found when the railroad bed was excavated. The six depots built here between 1851 and 1912 served passengers and freight for a combined 122 years. The two-story brick depot built here in 1912 was local landmark until it was torn down in 1973.

Rock Hill Street Railway
From 1891 to 1918 a street railway connected Railroad Ave., the depots, Main St., and Winthrop College, Nicknamed "Rock Hill Electric Railway," it was pulled by mules named "Lec" and "Tric" for 21 years, then ran on battery power. Its rails were salvaged during World War II. Railroad Ave. was renamed Trade St. by 1920, as the largest retail center in the area. Trade St. was all but eliminated by urban renewal in 1973.
 
Erected 2008 by The Culture and Heritage Museums of York County and the City of Rock Hill. (Marker Number 46-46.)
 
Location. 34° 55.647′ N, 81° 1.601′ W. Marker is in Rock Hill, South Carolina, in York County. Marker is at
Rock Hill Street Railway Marker image. Click for full size.
By Stanley and Terrie Howard, October 12, 2008
2. Rock Hill Street Railway Marker
the intersection of E White Street and Dave Lyle Boulevard (South Carolina Route 122) on E White Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hill SC 29730, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rock Hill Cotton Factory (within shouting distance of this marker); Rock Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCrory's Civil Rights Sit-ins / "Friendship Nine" (about 700 feet away); Episcopal Church of Our Saviour (about 800 feet away); Village of Rock Hill / City of Rock Hill (about 800 feet away); Andrew Jackson Hotel / Vernon Grant (about 800 feet away); First Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church / Dr. Arthur Small Rogers (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Post Office and Courthouse / Citizen's Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rock Hill Buggy Company / Anderson Motor Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Black Plantation / Hampton Campaign (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Rock Hill.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Sites of Rock Hill web site. Site created by 8th Grade students from Saluda Trail Middle School in Rock Hill, SC. (Submitted on March 9, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable BuildingsRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers
 
Rock Hill Railway Depot image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of Historic Sites of Rock Hill web site.
3. Rock Hill Railway Depot
The RH Railroad opened in 1852. Rock Hill is the gift of the railroad. Rock Hill got the railroad because Ebenezerville didn't want it because it would disturb the livestock. That is why Rock Hill grew and Ebenezer didn't. (because of the Railroad) The railroad is one of the oldest in the south, and is one of the only parts in Rock Hill that remains unchanged.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,046 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement