Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The First Brick Building in Sacramento

 
 
The First Brick Building in Sacramento Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 24, 2009
1. The First Brick Building in Sacramento Marker
Inscription. The Bridge Lunch Restaurant was the last of a long line of restaurants, saloons and boardinghouses located at, or nearby, 1323 Front Street, the first brick structure in the city. George Zins, a native of Searsburg, Lorraine, started a brick-making business in Sutterville in 1847 and hauled the bricks for the building to Sacramento by oxen-teams. Zins is also credited with building the first brick building in the state a year earlier at Sutterville.
In 1849, Zins constructed his two-story brick house that measured 35 x 60 feet and was built at a cost of $40,000. The property, 60 feet wide, located on Front Street between M and N streets, extended 150 feet to the alley. It had been obtained from John Sutter who, in 1847, had married Zins to Doris or Dorthea Wolfinger, a survivor of the Donner Party.
The building, known as the Anchor House, was intended as a family residence and store. However, during the flood of 1849-50 when it was used as a haven, Zins rented a portion of the building to John Winters, who opened a lodging house. The renting of the space to boarders was a pattern of use that was to characterize the subsequent history of the building and site. It was one of the few buildings to escape the great fire of 1852. A new 252-room hotel opened on the site in 2002.
 
Location.
The First Brick Building in Sacramento Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 24, 2009
2. The First Brick Building in Sacramento Marker
The Embassy Suites, "new hotel" mentioned on marker, is in the background
38° 34.784′ N, 121° 30.442′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from Capital Mall. Click for map. Marker is located near the entrance to the River Front Promenade off of Capital Mall and Front Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Independent Boat Operations of the 1850s (here, next to this marker); The Docks (a few steps from this marker); The River Lines Fleet (within shouting distance of this marker); City Wharf and Warehouses (within shouting distance of this marker); The Interurban Railroad Lines (within shouting distance of this marker); View Near the M Street Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Sacramento’s Maritime Heritage (within shouting distance of this marker); The United States Merchant Marine (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Sacramento.
 
Also see . . .  The History of California Bricks. The first kiln-fired common brick was made in 1847 by George Zins at Sutterville, Sacramento County (Submitted on March 4, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesNotable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
Close-Up of Photo on Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 24, 2009
3. Close-Up of Photo on Marker
The Bridge Lunch restaurant at 1323 Front Street, 1938
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,242 times since then and 71 times this year. Last updated on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement