Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Napa in Napa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Lisbon Winery 1882

 
 
Lisbon Winery 1882 Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 21, 2009
1. Lisbon Winery 1882 Marker
Inscription. Last surviving native-stone winery in Napa. Built and operated by Joseph Mathews (Mateus), a native of Portugal, this winery produced a variety of wines including prize-winning sherry. Mathews was a pioneer in the exportation of fine Napa wines to Europe.

Dedicated April 9, 1978 by the Native Sons of the Golden West, Donald E. Madsen - Grand President
 
Erected 1978 by Native Sons of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 18.236′ N, 122° 17.417′ W. Marker is in Napa, California, in Napa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Brown Street and Yount Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1720 Brown Street, Napa CA 94559, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Johnson-Doran Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pfeiffer Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Napa - Birthplace of the Loudspeaker and the Magnavox Corp. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Winship Building 1888 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Semorile Building
Lisbon Winery - Courtyard Side of Building Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 21, 2009
2. Lisbon Winery - Courtyard Side of Building
(approx. 0.4 miles away); Napa's China Town / Shuck Chan (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Moyer Patchett (approx. half a mile away); Oberon Saloon (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Napa.
 
More about this marker. The marker can be found on the southern/courtyard/parking side of the building, just to the left of the middle door.
 
Regarding Lisbon Winery 1882. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.

The building was rehabilitated by William and Leticia Jarvis in the mid-1990's, and now houses the Jarvis Conservatory, hosting various cultural events.
 
Also see . . .  Life of Learning: The cultural-frontier couple behind the Jarvis Conservatory. MetroSantaCruz.com's article (10/15/08) on the William and Leticia Jarvis and their efforts to bring cultural events to Napa. (Submitted on March 5, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Lisbon Winery - Brown Street Side Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 21, 2009
3. Lisbon Winery - Brown Street Side
Note the stained glass windows - the window above the door depicts a vintner.
Lisbon Winery - Constructed in 1882 by Joseph Mathews Photo, Click for full size
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 21, 2009
4. Lisbon Winery - Constructed in 1882 by Joseph Mathews
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 860 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement